3.12 we'll have the final session, doing something between an exam and a group discussion. Here are instructions how to prepare yourselves and a description about the way we will do it:
1. Form groups of 2 - 5 people interested in same topics, themes, thinkers.
2. Choose a thinker (Debord, Benjamin, De Certeau, Virno, Vähämäki etc.) - or take two thinkers and compare their ideas on a topic - or choose a topic or theme and see who has said something relevant. Also find at least one relevant text to work on - a chapter, an article, a meaningful excerpt. Use the list of literature and references in the blog; consult me if you cannot find what you need. Read the text!
3. In the final session you can have the text and any and all material, notes etc. that you find necessary, with you. You can also bring a laptop and look for info in the internets.
4. The groups will have 1 hour for defining 2 - 4 concepts from the list. The main thing is to discuss the thinker and his ideas and/or the topics, using the chosen text as reference. Somebody please remember to keep notes! You can use either Finnish or English, which is more comfortable. Remember also: there are no stupid questions or view-points, this is not about who is right or wrong. This is about what you find in the material.
5. And for the remaining hour we will discuss the concepts, thinkers, topics and the course together.
List of concepts:
situationism (this is a trick question)
Possible topics, themes, questions for discussion:
1. What is culture? What is the significance of culture? Whose culture?
2. For instance: compare Debord's and De Certeau's ideas on consumption.
3. What texts, themes, topics find an echo in your experience? How?
4. You can also define a good question, topic, theme - give some arguments why it is relevant, discuss it.
In general: please come and ask me if you need something!